Tips for Dual Citizens

Stories, adventures, tips and questions about moving to Australia
rod
Site Admin

Tips for Dual Citizens

Post by rod »

Feel free to add your own tips to this topic!

When leaving or entering a country for which you have a passport, you generally want to show the passport of the country that the border control agent represents.

I've heard that the US government in particular has historically been disdainful of dual citizenship and it's best not to volunteer that status when going through US border control.

However I found that when getting my boarding pass to leave the US for Australia, I needed to show my Australian passport to the ticket agent. This is because the airline checks to make sure you will not be denied entry at your destination, and when I showed my US passport there was a delay because the airline saw that I did not have an Australian visa. Showing instead my Australian passport there was no question.
armckee

Re: Tips for Dual Citizens

Post by armckee »

So just show the Aussie passport and don't try the US one? I just got approved for an Aussie passport today and will get mine in about 3 weeks. Do they ask for your driver's license?
rod
Site Admin

Re: Tips for Dual Citizens

Post by rod »

At the US ticket counter, yes, just show the Aussie passport. I don't remember if they asked for my drivers license but don't see why they would.