Which Trump Suit?

Questions and talk about interesting deals and situations.
rod
Site Admin

Which Trump Suit?

Post by rod »

This past weekend, June 11-12, was the Nambucca Valley Swiss Pairs. It had 30 pairs competing in 8 14-board matches. I played with Pauly and we were lucky enough to win. It was a lovely group of friendly, fun-loving people and of course we really enjoyed it.

I thought board 3 of match 7 was interesting.

South deals, E-W vulnerable. I sat East and opened 1 in fourth seat.

♠ Q63
KJ1043
♣ K96

♠ J1097
K5
AQ97
♣ 1082
♠ A542
AQJ1074
♣ 43

♠ K8
♣ AQJ75

South overcalled 2♣ and Pauly doubled, negative, indicating four spades. North raised to 3♣.

At first glance it appears spades would be a fine trump suit. However it occurred to me that if my hand is forced to ruff a couple of times then play may become awkward. If hearts are trumps then they will always take tricks and any needed spade finesses can be taken.

So I called 3 and Pauly raised to four.

I won the diamond lead in dummy and immediately called for the ♠J. South won the King and played another diamond which I ruffed. Then Ace and King of hearts and the ♠10 which held. Then I could ruff back to hand, pull the last trump and claim 10 tricks. That was worth 9 IMPs.
rod
Site Admin

Re: Which Trump Suit?

Post by rod »

As the cards lie I think 4♠ makes against best defence but the odds are not as good. Three rounds of clubs, ruffed, a heart to dummy and ♠J won by South, another club from South. If North started with Q8x or K8x of trumps then you're down (North will not cover if you play dummy's ♠10).