Low-tech Online Bridge?

Discussions concerning online play.
rod
Site Admin

Low-tech Online Bridge?

Post by rod »

I was just thinking a conferencing app like Zoom could be used to play bridge in a way that is pretty close to playing in-person.

Let's say each player has a laptop computer with a built-in webcam and probably also a headset. The headset is very desirable to avoid feedback loops and generally have good sound.

Each board would start with someone or something telling each player what their cards are. Everyone has their own deck of cards and pulls their hand out of that, and holds it in the usual way. Bidding is clearly straightforward.

After the opening lead the dummy puts his/her hand down on the table in front of the computer, and tilts the screen down so everyone can see it. Play proceeds normally with each person showing their card to the camera on each trick, and declarer calling the cards to play from the dummy.

Tablets could be used instead of laptops, but would need some sort of tiltable holder for when you are dummy.

What do you think, would this be more fun (social) than playing on BBO or whatnot? What's a good way to tell the players their hands?
Trumps

Re: Low-tech Online Bridge?

Post by Trumps »

Interesting thought, though my feeling is it might be like reinventing the log when we have the wheel!
rod
Site Admin

Post by rod »

Trumps wrote: 14 Apr 2020, 11:38 Interesting thought, though my feeling is it might be like reinventing the log when we have the wheel!
:lol:

There was a time when bridge was a social occasion. I guess some people still do that? :)
BRYANTJ

Post by BRYANTJ »

Hi Rod,
ZOOM has some security issues atm.
I'm finding BBO quite good for an hour a few times per week.
Glad I could access your post.