Anniversary Teams 2024

Questions and talk about interesting deals and situations.
rod
Site Admin

Anniversary Teams 2024

Post by rod »

Every year the Coffs Harbour Bridge Club holds its Anniversary Teams event to celebrate the anniversary of its founding. This is a social event where the teams are organized (somewhat) randomly, and there are three sessions where you have a different teammate as partner in each. I played on a team with Jim, Carmel and Pauline, none of whom I had partnered before.

This year had 17 teams. There were some interesting deals and I'll recount two of them here.

My choice to open the bidding may not be popular, but with 13 Goren points in a 5-loser hand it's definitely my style. This was worth 11 IMPs after the unfortunate heart lead. Use the "Next" button to follow the first few tricks of play.

Then there was board 7 where we fared less well.

After the heart lead and continuation I had a difficult guess. I could ruff high, or with a middle card, or discard the spade loser. I decided to ruff with the 9, hoping that either the lead was from 32 doubleton or East would fail to switch to spades. As the cards lie nothing would have worked. If I ruff high then Lyndall can discard a diamond and I won't be able to throw the spade loser on diamonds before she ruffs in.

The other table made the same contract, doubled. Fittingly, that team placed first overall. Congratulations guys!

Here are the results.