Minors and Matchpoints

Questions and talk about interesting deals and situations.
rod
Site Admin

Minors and Matchpoints

Post by rod »

Matchpoints, nobody vulnerable, you pick up as dealer:

♠ K42
K5
AQ10987
♣ 64

You open 1, LHO bids 2♣, partner doubles and RHO bids 4♣.

Your call.
rod
Site Admin

Re: Minors and Matchpoints

Post by rod »

This is an exercise in matchpoint thinking. I think many players would pass. But let's consider some points.

1. The only case for passing is if 4♣ makes and 4 is down two or more doubled. This seems unlikely because your side has at least half the points.

2. All of your cards are working on offence. Partner has announced support for the unbid suits and you have the King of each.

3. The opponents have a lot of clubs, so partner is likely to have a singleton and some diamond support.

Bidding looks better than doubling. So compete for the partscore with 4. Partner should know that at matchpoints this is not a game try. If you pass, partner will have no clue that your diamonds are this good and will likely also pass.

The full deal was:

♠ Q1085
Q10432
KJ5
♣ 10

♠ A963
A9
♣ KQJ83
♠ J7
J876
♣ A9752

♠ K42
K5
AQ10987
♣ 64

They might have beat it with perfect defense, but you'll never win if your opponents consistently play that well.

I might double instead of bidding if the opponents were vulnerable. Would you?
HDZ7

Re: Minors and Matchpoints

Post by HDZ7 »

Partner has minimum 8 points. RHO 4C bid suggests 5 clubs and some values and Diamond shortage. So the question is guessing if the partner has one of the 2 missing Aces (S & H) and if so then then 3 to 5 defensives tricks would be plausible (1 or 2D, 2 or 3M), hence DBl is reasonable. However I would not like to take this chance even at vulnerability as if partner has an Ace then 4D has a good chance of making. If not 4C has a good chance of making.

Happy to hear your views.
Happy to share my thoughts and reasoning and also participate in discussions in the spirit of learning and improving. Delighted to be proven wrong since a wrong approach/answer is one step closer to the right one.
Have Fun :)